Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Please excuse my absence...

...me and eldest daughter have been here for a few days...

...Nottingham, visiting me mum and bro, and solicitor. As mum is in the middle of moving house and her place at the moment is quite small we stayed here...


...at The Village Hotel in Chilwell, which was very nice, especially the food part of it!! I haven't been here for 18 years. A lot has changed, so much so that I was quite shocked by some of it, but this is a childhood favourite that hasn't...

...the Emmett clock fountain in Victoria Shopping Centre. And also these...

...the lions outside the Council House. Everyone always used to arrange to meet by the lions - probably always will. He's a handsome chap isn't he. His brother the other side ain't bad either!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny I was just goin' to comment about how i missed reading you lately.

i think Nottinghams a great place. Brilliant shopping - everything! I stayed in Hysons Green some years ago. Also went to a summer Ball at the university there - it was bloody freezing but great fun.

Hope things go well for you there and you get it all sorted out.

Who's looking after the animals?


JS xxx

Anonymous said...

It can be quite a shock can't it when you visit somewhere you haven't been for such a long time and find it's all changed.

CJ xx

Working Mum said...

That took me back to Bolton where we would arrange to meet at the lions outside the Town Hall.

Long time since I've been to Nottingham too! Is the Sherrif still there?

Suburbia said...

That clock looks interesting!
Hey, can you order some fine weather for this weekend in your part of the world, we're off to Cornwall tomorrow and I fear it will be wet!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I like Nottingham too. Used to go there to visit an office in the centre. Nice people too. Hope you had a good break.

the mother of this lot said...

Glad you've turned up - I was getting quite concerned!

Suzysoo said...

JS-ex other half and the kids looked after all the animals very well. Just the house that went to the dogs!!

CJ-some of it was very shocking. My little old junior school had turned into Colditz. 10ft fences all round it with signs about no drugs (or knives)in school. We didnt even know what they were then.

WM-dunno about the Sheriff, I stayed pretty much out of the town centre apart from the one afternoon. Robin Hood was still there though-I clocked him as we went past to the multi-storey car park!

MOB-it was lovely to go back after 18 years but sad too in a way as it has changed so much.

MOTL-thanks. I always turn up eventually, didnt mean to worry you x

Tim Atkinson said...

How about Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem? Did you manage a quick one?

Country Girl said...

So nice to hear that you've been travelling with your daughter. Hope your journey has been a happy one, as it looks here with these photos!

Suzysoo said...

D-we went past it but didnt go in. We also passed the Salutation, which my Dad used to run in the early 80's.

CG-it was lovely to go with my eldest as we are quite good pals anyway and we do have a laugh.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

How nice to revisit old haunts - and staying in a very nice hotel too. I like the look of the clock, and the lions. M xx

david mcmahon said...

Never been to Nottingham. There's still time though ....